My Corvair Restoration
@ Dave's Paint 2008
In August 2008, Dave finished the work I had requested on my Corvair. He had taken a lot of picture during these repairs, so I could
build these web pages.
Here is some of the rust Dave was looking to repair. Almost all the repairs would need addition steel beyond the patch panel. He set out
to properly support the body, so it would not sag while the old steel was removed.
DSC00067
DSC00068
DSC00069
The Drivers Side rocker was in rougher shape than the passenger side. After the old rocker panel  was removed you could see how
bad it was.  The internal support was half gone, and the rust extended up above the rocker in the pillars and sill area.
DSC00072
DSC00076
DSC00070
Dave started repairing the internal support  He also had to cut out some of the sill that extended past the new rocker. After sill and
rocker stiffener were rebuilt, it was painted with POR-15 before the outer steel was installed. The support on the passenger side was
in good condition. It was cleaned up and painted with POR-15. (Note the pile of rust on the floor that was inside the rocker area)
DSC00074
DSC00078
DSC00077
After test fitting a Clark's Rocker replacement, Dave started replacing the rocker panel. He first hand formed the ends to match the
fender wells lip. This would take some doing, as the convertible rockers are made of 12 gauge steel. Then he carefully aligned, and
welded them in.
DSC00073
DSC00079
DSC00080
The rust had extended up into the pillars, a few inches above the rocker on both sides. As patch panels are not available, He had to
hand fabricate his own. He ended up repairing the pillar corners in both doors. These repairs looked great after they were finished and
primed. This is an example of how he made his repairs.
DSC00081
DSC00082
DSC00083
The Rockers on both sides of the car were rebuilt in the above fashion. Then he turned his attention to the floor. The front drivers side
floor board was the only one that needed replacement. I had installed a temporary fiberglass patch on the bottom of the floor earlier.
Now it would be properly repaired. He had to add extra metal, toward the sill, and toward the front of the patch panel. I will be giving
the entire floor a coat of POR-15 top and bottom later.
DSC00108
DSC00110
DSC00115
I had also asked Dave to patch the fenders while he had it in the shop. On the passenger side front he chased the rust almost all the
way around the lip. Every fender was checked and patched as needed. All the repairs were made with steel welded in, smoothed, and
then primered for the trip home.
DSC00106
DSC00111
DSC00114
DSC00107
DSC00116
DSC00113
I would have loved to let Dave finish this car for me. It probably would turn out better. But, I want to do as much as I can. Because I
intend on owning this car a long time, and in the long run, there is a certain pride in saying  " I did it myself "

                   Here are some pictures of 69 the day I brought it home with the repairs in primer
P8230001
P8230004
P8230002
P8230005
P8230003
P8230006
P8230007
P8230009
P8230017
P8230013
P8230011
P8230016
P8230015
P8230014
P8230012